Friday, December 29, 2006

Brain Age: Reclaiming mental acuity

I'm going to let this one basically speak for itself. This may not be entirely 'linguistics related,' but it certainly helps if you have a sharp mind if you want to process linguistics... especially if you're a male, based upon some of the material that I've read on the BBC lately: early adolescent women are typically using language around twice as much as men.

Hence, there must be methods to offset (1) the handicap of being a male, and (2) the onset of aging. I've been reading a lot about Nintendo's "Brain Age" software recently, but nothing really twisted my mental arm to take it seriously. Joshua Green's article on Wired may, however, be the kind of 'nudge' that I need:

A 4 Week Quest to be Smarter

Incidentally, several weeks ago I set up my own "Cognitive Training Center," based upon widgets that I built into the 'fixed' segments of LinguisticFX at
LinguisticFX Cognitive Training Center. However, as Green mentions, web applications largely lack the kind of portability that truly match modern life.

You never know, by tomorrow afternoon I may actually be holding a Nintendo DS and playing Brain Age. Kickstart my heart... why is it that the majority of revolutionary thinking is done before many intellectuals are 30? It's time to turn the tide.

No comments: