Sunday, July 02, 2006

INTEGRATED GOOGLE TOOLS?

In the process of establishing this parallel line of commentary on the actual nature of beta testing some of these products, I've recently hit a few setbacks, and some forward movement.

1. Blogger's beta widget for Apple Dashboard completely erased itself?  This is the kind of crash that seems to accompany a widget that has errant code, although I can't confirm this.

2. One positive example of 'feedback' from Google is that within 48 hours of my reporting that inserting Google AdSense code into Googlepages would create a fatal 'freeze' on page editing, I received an email from Google stating that the AdSense code is now compatible, and all of my tests since then have been positive - no problems.

3. In attempting to try out yet another new Google tool - Google Sitemap, I've noticed that this is another piece of Google software that doesn't seem to be designed to integrate with Googlepages.  In fact, to activate Sitemap, Google require that you either insert a META tag into the header of your HTML (not possible on Googlepages?), or that you upload an individual HTML file/name to your site that Google autogenerates for you... again, not possible in Googlepages as far as I can tell.  

So, in terms of the company with the 'unique DNA,' I have to wonder if there's one Google DNA, or if there are a multitude of them.  Possibly I'm underestimating their ability to integrate their tools post-design, but I have to wonder how this will effect the end user experience.

More importantly, I still can't get these Blogger feeds through the 'usual' RSS channels here in China unless I feed them through a proxy channel such as Google's personalized Homepage (and their Beta Reader). 

No comments: