Monday, March 19, 2007

Online adult behavior in the Brave New World

I'll make this brief, although I don't want to lose this thought, as I feel like a new tide is coming in, and somebody should at least speculate: lately I've noticed that some adult/professional behavior is starting to reflect the behavior of kids online... adults who "duck and weave" online in order to avoid conversation or confrontation. Interaction is changing, and not necessarily for the better. We teach 'netiquette' to children (the etiquette of interacting on the web), but then those who we know well in professional circles may become so absorbed in this "kids' world" that they start to emulate their behaviors, and believe that they're acceptable.

I honestly don't believe that I'm offensive online, but as with everything in life, maybe I'm on a different 'track' to you, or maybe I'm not willing to buy into your personal crusade, because my chosen focus lies elsewhere. In the pursuit of 'optimization' or whatever other nominalization you might choose to use as an excuse for poor behavior on the Internet, are you actually succumbing to poor behavior, and justifying it with the laws of the 'wild west?' This might seem lofty or 'police like,' but are we changing the rules of interaction to suit ourselves, and to further our own causes, whilst losing our humanity in the process?

If you have a process or a project that you wish to further I can fully respect that, but if you start ducking away and using an "I can't see you, and you can't see me" methodology, aren't we just playing the kinds of games that we can play with children who haven't developed beyond the "here and now" and concrete thinking?

No comments: